TND 550 won’t turn on
There are a few possible reasons your GPS won’t turn on or has trouble retaining battery life.
- Make sure the TND 550 is charging properly. If there are charging issues read the solution to problem #2
- If charging the device doesn’t resolve the issue, reset the TND 550. Here is our guide how to reset Rand McNally GPS.
TND 550 is not Charging
You can do a few things when your GPS isn’t charging.
- Make sure the wall charger is plugged into a 120V or 240V power supply only. The vehicle charger should be plugged into a 12V outlet only. Avoid using a splitter plug.
- Check the charger to ensure it’s plugged in correctly and that the outlet is working.
- If it is, try using a different charger or plugging the TND 550 into a different outlet. If that still doesn’t work, you can try resetting the GPS.
- If that still doesn’t work, you may need to take it to a Rand McNally support for repair.
TND 550 GPS is not responding
Please follow the directions below if your device is not getting a GPS signal:
- Make sure the TND 550 is connected to a Wi-Fi network or a hotspot.
- Tap the Gear icon on the top left corner of the launch screen.
- Click on System Settings under the General tab.
- Tap Apps & notifications > Truck Navigation and Force Stop the application.
- Return to the Home screen and launch the Rand Navigation app
- Tap on the Setting icon at the bottom of the screen
- Select GPS Repair under the General tab. This step will scan and fix the navigation files
- Return to the home screen and restart the GPS
- Launch the RAND NAVIGATION app and confirm the GPS signals are being received.
- If the issue still persists, Return to the TND 550 Launcher screen and select Truck Tools
- Tap GPS Repair > Scan. This step will scan and fix all the GPS files.
- Restart the device and confirm the issue is resolved.
TND 550 GPS signals are turned off
GPS signals are usually turned off automatically when the device goes into the Battery Saving mode. Connect your TND 550 to the power source to resolve the problem immediately.
Otherwise, if the power supply is not available, you can turn on the High Accuracy mode under Location settings. Go to the Android Settings menu and choose Security & Location > Location > High Accuracy mode.
TND 550 GPS signals are very weak
The GPS signals are affected by the weather and the surrounding environment.
If you are in a location with bad reception, such as a deep valley, mountain slope, inside a metal building, or surrounded by tall buildings, your TND 550 might not acquire signals properly. This would result in an inaccurate position reading.
The device will need to be moved to an open space with better GPS signals. Allow it a couple of minutes to calibrate the correct position.
TND 550 receivers are also affected by nearby electronic devices. Try to power off the nearby electronic device. The GPS would immediately respond if any electric device caused the problem.